Arnos Vale (or Arno’s Vale) is a 45 acre (18 hectare) Victorian cemetery to the south east of central Bristol, England, on the Bath road. The cemetery was established in 1837 on a shareholder model, and burials began in 1839. During the latter half of the 20th century the cemetery was allowed to decline by its owners, a property development company, but was subjected to a compulsory purchase order by the city council to prevent redevelopment. It is currently undergoing restoration aided by a £4.8m heritage lottery fund grant, and publicity from the BBC One Restoration series. It contains many listed buildings, including the Grade II* listed Mortuary chapels, gatehouse, and the Chattri of Raja Rammohun Roy, the Indian reformer who died while visiting Bristol. Seven other graves and the war memorial are Grade II listed. Read more at Wikipedia.
[flickrgallery tags=”Arnos Vale”]